How To Get Google Map API Key
First let’s understand what is google map API key then we will start the step by step tutorial of generating google map API key by using the easiest and fastest way.
What is Google Map API key?
Google Map API key is a unique token that is used to integrate google map in different applications like Android app, iOS app, Web app. To generate this unique key you need to register on Google API Console. After generating the API key you get some individual free limit of user queries, according to your quota. Moreover, with the Google Maps API key, you can monitor your queries and control them if necessary.
Generating the Google Map API key is not a complex task. It’s a process that can be completed within minutes. But the main thing that must be kept in mind is, it requires billing information to create a billing account. Due to this billing account creation whenever the user queries cross the limit provided by Google, then the billing detail is used to charge for the excess usage.
Step 1 :- Create your project
- To start the procedure, go to Google Maps Platform
- Press the “Get Started” button and then in the appeared window tick all three types of products. Press Continue.
- In the updated window, choose Select a project and enter the project name in the box below. Then click Next.
Step 2 :- Creating a billing account
- Click “Create Billing Account” as shown in the window.
- Create a name for you billing project and press Continue. Fill the appeared form with your payment information and click Next.
Step 3 :- Get your API key
- Press the next button as shown in the below image
- You will see a new window with your API key in the box. Copy the key as shown in the below image to use it later.
Now, this API key can be used for integrating google map in android apps, iOS apps, websites and also can be used directly in WordPress widgets.
If you want to secure this API key. So that you can only use this API key for your project only, then you need to follow the next step, otherwise you can finish the process here only.
Step 4 :- Secure your API key
- After your key is created, it’s recommended to restrict it to prevent unauthorized usage. Please, go to Google Cloud Platform Console and click on your key.
- Select the options as shown in the below image as per your requirements and secure your API key and enjoy using it.
- If you want to use this API key for your website then you must enter your domain name in the box as shown in the image below.
FAQ :- How to handle API key limits ?
- When you get your Google Maps API key, you can set your daily quota for queries in the Google API console. Google Maps web APIs have 25,000 free requests per day.
- When this daily limit gets exceeded then you will be charged by Google and the amount will be deducted according to your usage from your billing account.
So now you know how to generate Google Maps API key and it’s an easy process. In fact, it’s completed in a couple of minutes. We hope you are now able to generate your own API key by following this tutorial. If you find this tutorial helpful and want to know more technical things like this please let us know or you can Hire Us for working on your projects.